FOX 4's Meryl Lin McKean suggests you ask your doctor the following questions before surgery.
1. What operation are you recommending?
2. Why do I need the operation?
3. Are there alternatives to surgery?
4. What are the benefits of having the
5. What are the risks of having the operation?
6. What will happen if I don't have this
7. Where can I get a second opinion?
8. What has been your experience in doing
the operation? How many have you
9. Where will the operation be done?
10. What kind of anesthesia will I need?
11. How long will it take me to recover?
12. How much will the operation cost?
Remember, quality matters, especially when it comes to your health. For more information on health care quality and materials to help you make health care decisions, visit www.ahrq.gov Source: Agency for Health Care Quality and Research www.ahrq.gov
For more resources, go to The Empowered Patient Coalition's website at www.empoweredpatientcoalition.org.