Lisa Farmer’s Calypso Beef Soup
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 c. diced peeled sweet potato
- ½ c. chopped onion
- ½ c. chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 c. water or low-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (15 ½ ounce) black-eyed peas, rinsed, drained
- 1 can (13 ½ ounce) light unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 c. packed fresh baby spinach leaves
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and ground black pepper
1. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef; cook 8-10 minutes, breaking in ¾-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon. Pour off drippings in pan; add sweet potato, onion, bell pepper and curry powder. Cook 4-5 minutes or until onion and pepper are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour; cook and stir 1 minute.
2. Stir in water, black-eyed peas and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5-8 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Stir in spinach and thyme. Cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition information per serving: 308 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat; 3g monounsaturated fat); 76mg cholesterol; 327mg sodium; 22g carbohydrate; 4.1g fiber; 30g protein.
Lisa Farmer, Nutrition Coordinator, YMCA of Greater Kansas City.