Update: Police ID Victims in 69 Highway Wreck
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. – Police say at least two people, including a child, were killed and several others injured following an apparent cross-over wreck on U.S. 69 Highway at 151st Street on Monday morning.
According to Overland Park Police, both north-bound and south-bound lanes of 69 Highway were closed while rescue workers clear the scene. The highway finally reopened to traffic around noon.
Authorities say that a woman, identified as 29-year-old Heidi Lynn Adams, driving an SUV crossed over into the northbound lanes of 69 highway around 6 a.m., striking two pickup trucks.
Adams and a child, identified as 9-year-old Imogin Grace Adams, in the SUV were killed, while two other children in the SUV were injured, one critically. The two people driving the pickup trucks were also injured in the wreck. All have been taken to area hospitals.
Imogin Adams was a 3rd Grader at Lakewood Elementary School in the Blue Valley School District. Parents and students were alerted about Adams’ death this morning, and grief counselors are on-hand for students and faculty.
Police are investigating the accident.
- Man killed, child seriously injured by gunfire at KC gas station
- Couple who recently celebrated 70th anniversary die within hours of one another
- Former roommate says suspected shooter looks much different than he remembers
- Mohammed Whitaker charged with Kansas City highway shootings
- 79-yr-old dancer makes Simon Cowell stop yawning and start cheering