Healthy Habits: Cherry Almond Granola
Cherry Almond Granola
* 2/3 cup frozen unsweetened apple juice concentrate, thawed
* 1/2 cup maple syrup
* 1/3 cup canola oil
* 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
* 5 cups old fashioned rolled oats
* 1 cup toasted wheat germ
* 1 cup whole almonds, coarsely chopped (4 1/2 ounces)
* 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, (2 ounces)
* 1 cup dried cherries, divided
* Preheat to 325°F. Coat 2 large baking sheets with sides with cooking spray.
* Whisk apple juice concentrate, maple syrup, oil and brown sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cinnamon.
* Mix oats, wheat germ, almonds and sunflower seeds in a large bowl. Stir in the juice mixture; toss to coat. Spread the granola evenly on the prepared baking sheets.
* Bake the granola for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice. Reverse sheets top to bottom and back to front. Continue baking until lightly browned and aromatic, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes more. Transfer the baking sheets to wire racks; stir 1/2 cup dried cranberries into the granola on each sheet. Let cool completely. Makes 19, 1/2 cup servings.
* Per serving: 262 calories; 11 g fat ( 1 g sat , 6 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein;5 g fiber; 67 mg sodium; 229 mg potassium.