SHAWNEE, Kan. — A wind-driven fire destroyed one home and damaged five others in a Shawnee neighborhood over the weekend.
The blaze broke out around 5 a.m. on Sunday near 70th & Mill Creek Road in Shawnee.
A family told firefighters the woke up to breaking glass on the back side of their house. They tried to call 911 but their phones weren’t working so they ran outside. After opening the door to the home, wind swept the flames causing the fire to spread setting the rest of the house on fire.
Investigators say that the homeowners had a wood burring stove in the basement. They emptied the stove into a metal can and when they thought the embers were cool put them in a plastic bag and put them in the garbage can out back.
Five other home were damaged by embers from the fire.
Firefighters from Lenexa and Olathe helped Shawnee first responders with the fires. A preliminary report shows the fire damage is estimated at about $450,000 for all six fires.