TOPEKA, Kan. -- Less than three weeks ago a 12-year-old Kansas boy's dog, Nikko, died.
What caused his death kills 10,000 animals and more than a thousand children each year. Now it's causing that 12-year-old, Aaron Coash, to make a case for a new law in Kansas.
Nikko and Aaron were best friends. They did dog shows, visited nursing homes and schools, and even played soccer together.
"Sometimes he'd cheat by picking it up with his mouth," Aaron laughed at the memory.
For six years, Aaron came home from school greeted by Nikko. That routine stopped a few weeks ago. On January 19th, Nikko ran off and somehow he got into antifreeze.
Within a day, he started getting sick.
"He started puking and not feeling well," Aaron said.
Nikko's health quickly declined and after a week of pain, Nikko died.
"The doctor said without a doubt it was antifreeze poisoning," Aaron explained.
Dr. Mike Wasmer from the VCA Emergency Clinic in Mission says he sees a couple cases of antifreeze poisoning a year, and depending on the animal's size, it doesn't take much to cause damage.
"You could have a tiny little Pomeranian that has a few licks, could be enough to put it into kidney failure," Dr. Wasmer said.
He explained time is one of the biggest factors in whether or not a dog will survive being poisoned by the antifreeze.
"If they delay more than four to six hours, it's very likely that the damage has been done," Dr. Wasmer said.
Aaron's following his parent's advice.
"They've always taught me to do something good out of something bad," he said.
So he's proposing a Kansas law with the help of the Humane Society, that all antifreeze in the state needs a chemical to make the sweet-tasting antifreeze taste bitter. In honor of his pup, he's calling it Nikko's law.
"Nikko was a champion, so I want to be a champion," Aaron said with conviction.
Tuesday, Aaron said he got a call from Kansas Senator Carolyn McGinn. She says she'll see what she can do to help him with Nikko's Law.
If you want to sign the online petition in support of Nikko's law, go to this website: http://www.stopantifreezepoisoning.com/index.html
By the way, Aaron says he's looking for a new dog, but not the same breed as Nikko who was a Shiba Inu. He thinks he got the best Shiba Inu already.