Man Injured when Electronic Cigarette Explodes in His Mouth

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PENSACOLA, Fla. — A Florida man is recovering from severe burns and injuries after an electronic cigarette apparently exploded in his mouth.

According to WCTI-TV, Tom Holloway, a photographer and Vietnam veteran from Niceville, was smoking one of the devices at his home on Monday evening when it apparently exploded, sending molten shrapnel across the room.

“Just a super nice guy, and he’s had some health problems with his lungs and so he, he quit smoking,” Holloway’s neighbor, Wendy Jensen, told WCTI. “(Jensen’s wife) said that it sounded like a firecracker, and it was just a horrible noise, and she heard him scream and she ran in there.”

Jensen says that the explosion knocked out all of Holloway’s teeth and part of his tongue. He has been transferred to a burn center to recover.

Debris from the electronic cigarette was so hot that it melted everything it touched. Firefighters say that it appears that the device’s battery ignited, and compared it holding a lit bottle rocket in your mouth. They say that this is the first time they’ve ever heard of an incident like this.

Authorities say that it is impossible to determine the brand of the electronic cigarette.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s