Ahi Tuna with Mushrooms
For the rice:
- 1 Cup Jasmine Rice
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 1 Pinch Kosher Salt
- 1 Small Celery Root
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
1. Begin by bringing water to a boil and adding the pinch of salt and the jasmine rice. Turn down to a simmer, cover, and cook rice for 25 minutes.
2. While rice is cooking, remove the bark-like skin of the celery root and cut to small pieces. Place celery root and the tsp. of kosher salt in a small pan and cover with the cream. Bring to a simmer and cook until celery root is tender all the way through, approximately 20 minutes.
3. When rice is cooked remove from heat and uncover. Allow to sit without touching for 10 minutes.
4. While rice is resting take the cream and celery root and puree in a blender until smooth.
5. When rice is done resting pour in the celery root puree and fold the two together.
For the Mushrooms and Ahi Tuna:
- 1/2 lb. Oyster Mushrooms, remove the clump where the stems come together, and tear mushrooms in halves.
- 1 Tblsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Lite Soy Sauce
- 1 Orange, Juice only
- 1 Lemon, Juice only
- 1 Lime, Juice only
- 1 Dash Sesame Oil
- 4 Each 6 Ounce Ahi Tuna portions
- 2 Tblsp. Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 Tblsp. Canola Oil
- For Wasabi Cream:
- 1 Tblsp. Wasabi Powder
- 2 Tblsp. Heavy Cream
1. Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a sautee pan until the heat begins to make it ripple. Do not let it begin to smoke. Add the mushrooms and cook briefly to caramelize.
2. When the mushrooms are caramelized add the soy sauce, sesame oil, and citrus juices. Cook until the liquids create a nice glaze to coat the mushrooms.
3. While cooking the mushrooms, in a seperat sautee pan, heat the canola oil and season the tuna with the cracked black pepper and the kosher salt.
4. When the canola oil is hot add the tuna to the pan and sear on each side for approximately 30 seconds.
5. Remove tuna from pan and begin plating by placing the rice in the center with the mushrooms over and around it. Cut the tuna in half, or slice across the grain into 4 slices, and place it over the rice.
6. Take the wasabi powder and cream in a small mixing bowl and whip together until fully incorporated. Spoon it evenly over the tuna.
Click here for more information about Pierpont’s at Union Station.