Man Killed After Drinking Gasoline, Smoking Cigarette

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HAVELOCK, N.C. — A North Carolina man is dead after he accidentally drank from a jar of gasoline and then lit up a cigarette, setting himself on fire, police said.

According to the Associated Press, 43-year-old Gary Allen Banning died of burns on Tuesday morning at the University of North Carolina Burn Center in Chapel Hill. Police say that Banning was at a friend’s apartment when he apparently mistook a jar of gasoline sitting by the kitchen sink for a beverage.

Police say that after taking a drink, he spit out the gasoline, getting some on his clothes. A short time later, Banning went outside to light a cigarette and burst into flames.

The incident remains under investigation.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s