“Squirrel Whisperer” Shares Unique Bond With Wildlife
WICHITA, Kan. — An officer worker at Wichita State University has a unique ritual. Every afternoon she feeds the squirrels that hang out around her office.
On good days, 19 squirrels will gather around Karen Newton to snack on peanuts and birdseed. Newton says she believes they can recognize her.
“I can get to the doors over there and they see me through the glass and they just fly over,” she said.
She also says the squirrels have come to recognize the unusual call she makes to attract them. And she doesn’t mind if you call her the squirrel lady. Just don’t call her the “squirrely lady”.
- Father: Some kind of cord was trapping his sons in their room during deadly fire
- WATCH: Terrifying pileup shows the danger of exiting your car after an accident
- Watch: Possible abduction caught on tape
- College student, 18, killed in accident involving ice and semi on I-435
- Claustrophobic woman claws her way out of bathroom