Fire Destroys Building with Three Businesses
CLAYCOMO, Mo. – A Tuesday afternoon blaze totals a building that housed three businesses. Claycomo Fire Chief Ron Stewart said it happened around 3 p.m. He said investigators believe it was sparked by a printing machine inside Happy Times T-Shirt.
The store owner Richard Nigro said it happened fast, while he and a handful of employees were inside. He said what’s left of the building is a scene he can’t stomach.
“I’m sick. I can’t even recognize it here. You know, I don’t think I’ve ever missed a day since opening the store, I haven’t missed a day,” Nigro said.
Nigro said he’s been in business there since 1975. His shop is next to Claycomo Laundry and Belmont Carpet.
The fire chief said the fire spread to those neighboring businesses when it got into the building’s attic. Several surrounding agencies were called in to help.
“It’s definitely a serious fire. It destroyed a building. It’s a total loss. It’s always a shame,” said Stewart.
Nigro said he is grateful for one thing if he opens up again.
“A lot of my customers, they all come down, and said, ‘Don’t worry, we will still be here,’” Nigro said.
Nigro said the building is insured. He also said the building owner plans to rebuild immediately at that same location.
Meantime, Stewart said one person was taken to the hospital. He said it appears she is an employee of one of the businesses. He said she went back inside to try to rescue an animal. Stewart said it’s unclear what he condition is.