Man Catches Fire After Applying Sunscreen
STOW, Mass. — Summers are spent outdoors — and when outside in the sun, one should wear sunscreen. One man did, but ended up with second-degree burns from his grill after applying a type of aerosol sunscreen.
Brett Sigworth said he applied Banana Boat sunscreen away from the grill and didn’t think it would be flammable after it was applied. Sigworth said when he walked over to his grill after applying the sunscreen, parts of his skin caught fire.
“I went into complete panic mode and screamed,” Sigworth told ABC News. “I’ve never experienced pain like that in my life.”
Sigworth suffered second-degree burns to his chest, ear and back — the areas where he applied the sunscreen.
The warnings on the bottle read, “Flammable, don’t use near heat, flame or while burning.” The bottle did not say anything about after it’s applied.
According to a statement released by Banana Boat, they were taking the matter seriously.
“We are unaware of any prior incidents similar to what Brett has described, but because nothing is more important to us than the safety of our consumers, we are taking this matter very seriously,” the statement read.
According to Dan Dillard, CEO of the Burn Prevention Network, he believes the sunscreen may have not fully absorbed into Sigworth’s skin and droplets from the aerosol spray may have still been in the air, putting him at risk.
Sigworth said he doesn’t plan to sue, but said he hopes others know the dangers of using aerosol spray sunscreen around any kind of flame.
“I think if people were told this is flammable for two minutes on your skin, people wouldn’t use it,” Sigworth said.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter
- Prosecutors: Man was drunk, speeding Monday afternoon when he caused deadly crash that killed husband, father
- 86-year-old WWII veteran being sued by country club over property
- Boy sings gospel song until kidnapper can't stand it anymore, tells him to get out of car
- 19-year-old finds her birth mother using Twitter