Sandusky Trial: Prosecution’s Case Proceeding Rapidly
BELLEFONTE, Penn. (CNN) — The prosecution is expected to call more witnesses Thursday in the case against former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky, who is accused of sexually abusing boys over a 15-year period.
“Things are moving along quicker than anticipated,” Pennsylvania judge John Cleland said before ending Wednesday’s proceedings.
The prosecution could be finished calling witnesses by Friday, he said.
Jurors on Wednesday heard graphic testimony from three alleged victims, the father of a then-graduate assistant who said he witnessed Sandusky raping a boy, and a janitor who testified that he saw two pairs of legs in a shower, believed to be the ex-coach and a child.
Sandusky has pleaded not guilty to the 52 criminal counts and has denied his interactions with the children were sexual.
Five of 10 alleged victims have so far testified, and two of those are not expected to take the stand.
Among those who testified Wednesday was a 25-year-old man identified as “Alleged Victim No. 10” who said that as a boy, Sandusky abused him on at least five occasions in the basement of Sandusky’s Pennsylvania home.
Sandusky sat expressionless during a trial that was initially expected to continue for three weeks but has since progressed more rapidly than expected.
In opening statements, defense lawyer Joe Amendola suggested his client would take the stand and say he routinely “got showers with kids” after working out.
(CNN’s Susan Candiotti, Laura Dolan, Dana Garrett and InSession’s Michael Christian contributed to this report.)