Food for the Fourth of July!
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Chances are, you’ll be firing up the grill for a backyard barbecue for the 4th of July. Sure, you can grill steaks and chicken, but this year think outside the meat! Chef Bobby Stern, from Ophelia’s, showed us a great recipe that will wow your guests and tantalize your taste buds.
Kool-Grilled Watermelon Salad
This watermelon salad is cool and refreshing. It’s a perfect first course for a light, summer dinner. Prep time: 20 minutes.
- ½ medium watermelon
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 handfulls baby greens
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- ¼ cup candied walnuts
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves,finely chopped
- Pinch of salt and pepper
1. Slice watermelon and remove the rind, cut away all the white. Leave only the bright red center.
2. Cut in 2 inch large cubes and mark on grill, only leaving on the grill for 1 minute on each side.
3. In bowl, combine babygreens, feta cheese, walnuts, mint leaves, salt and pepper
4. In separate bowl combine balsamic and oil whisk until well blended
5. Drizzle 85% of dressing over greens
6. Arrange greens on chilled plates top with watermelon and remaining dressing and serve right away.
Makes about 4 servings