Investigators Blame OP Apartment Building Fire on Cigarette
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. — Authorities say that an improperly discarded cigarette led to a fire that damaged an Overland Park apartment building on Saturday morning.
According to the Overland Park Fire Department, crews responded to a fire call at the Highland Park Apartments in the 105th block of Goddard around 11:00 a.m.
Firefighters were able to put the fire, which had spread from a first-floor patio up to the attic of the two-story building, out a short time later. Investigators say that the fire was caused by a discarded cigarette.
There were no injuries reported in the fire, which caused an estimated $80,000 damage to the building.