Fireworks Torch House in South Kansas City

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Firefighters say fireworks are to blame for a house fire in South Kansas City Wednesday morning.

They responded to the house in the 11400 block of Palmer Avenue around 2:45 a.m., after a smoke detector woke a family of three. When firefighters arrived the roof was engulfed. Investigators found the remains of a firework near the back deck and say flames quickly spread to the roof.

A relative tells Fox 4 there is extensive smoke and water damage inside the house. Firefighters estimate the damage to the structure and content to be $60,000.

Fireworks are banned in Kansas City, Missouri.

In 2010, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission found that fireworks caused more than 15,000 fires nationwide, including 1,100 structure fires.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s