Hotel Guest Recalls Fire in Blue Springs
BLUE SPRINGS, Mo. — A fire at a Blue Springs Hotel forced 40 guests to find other accommodations. The guests were worried about getting out of the Comfort Inn safely as well as their belongings going up in flames.
“We weren’t an over nighter,” said Barb Keys, hotel guest. “This was starting our second week so we had everything. We were basically living out of the hotel.”
Barb Keys is now staying at a Comfort Inn in Grain Valley along with a handful of other guests at the same hotel. On Friday, she and her husband frantically searched for their mother who they left at the hotel
“It’s been hectic,” she said.
The Central Jackson County Fire Protection District says the fire started because someone threw a cigarette into some mulch. Now, they’re wondering how the fire took off so quickly.
“We think there was some delay in us getting the alarm so we’re not sure if the alarm didn’t sound quick enough so we’re following up on that,” said Asst. Fire Chief Eddie Saffel with Jackson Co. Fire Protection.
Keys says the good news in all the smoke and fire, no one was hurt. Her mother was found in food hands.
“She’s on oxygen,” she said. “They made sure she had an oxygen tank because her concentrator was left in the room because actually they grabbed her.”
Fire officials say because it is so dry outside, even a little spark off of a cigarette or bbq grill can really smolder.