Start2Finish 5K and Scholoarship Info
According to The College Board, the average 2011-2012 tuition increase was 4.5 percent at private, nonprofit colleges, and 8.3 percent for in-state students at public universities. One event in town was created to help students afford the increasing costs of college.
Start2Finish 5K run/walk in Overland Park, was formed five years ago by Johnson County Community College (JCCC) and KU Edwards Campus to raise funds for students who begin their undergraduate degree at JCCC and finish at KU Edwards. The event helps students with the difference in cost between JCCC and KU Edwards.
The run/walk, held Saturday, July 21, will take place at Johnson County Community College due to area road construction. Through the Start2Finish event, more than $50,000 has been raised to date for undergraduate scholarships.
For more information or to sign up visit iStart2Finish.org.
Good resources and websites where students can get more info on a variety of scholarships:
- affordability.ku.edu (great list of KU scholarships as well as national scholarships)
- KansasRegents.org (Kansas only scholarships)
- Talk to your advisor/financial aid office
Tuition cost data:
- Average 2011-2012 tuition increase was 4.5 percent at private, nonprofit colleges, and 8.3 percent for in-state students at public universities (College Board).
- Average tuition increase over the last five years was more than 20 percent for private, nonprofit colleges, and more than 30 percent for in-state students at public universities (College Board).
- WATCH: Terrifying pileup shows the danger of exiting your car after an accident
- College student, 18, killed in accident involving ice and semi on I-435
- Claustrophobic woman claws her way out of bathroom
- Watch: Possible abduction caught on tape
- Father: Some kind of cord was trapping his sons in their room during deadly fire