Vandals Hit Belton Cemetery
BELTON, Mo. — It’s supposed to be treated with dignity, honor and the utmost respect. However, vandals have committed unthinkable crimes at Belton Cemetery near Cambridge & Scott. Police tell FOX 4 some time between 10 p.m. Sunday and 5 a.m. Monday, the culprits knocked over 45 tombstones and then took off.
What’s more, even a huge headstone, in memory of the Wilson family, one of Belton’s founding families, was also vandalized at the 137-year-old, privately owned cemetery. Lorraine Peterson has several loved ones buried at the cemetery.
“The way they’re tearing up the cemetery, it’s terrible,” Peterson said. “I mean they have no respect for anybody. It’s awful.”
Cemetery board members are now considering installing surveillance cameras and paying security officers to patrol the cemetery, in light of the weekend crimes.
- Teen killed in accident on I-435 identified
- Police believe body found in Lawrence is that of missing graduate student
- Paraplegic woman defies the odds and challenges; loses 275 pounds
- Feds say maker of Android flashlight app collected info, gave to advertisers
- Belton restaurant apologizes for sign about scalping Redskins