Man, 18, Charged with Murder of Travelers Inn Clerk
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — An 18-year-old man has been charged with the murder of a 24-year-old woman, killed while she was working at her motel clerk job in June.
The Jackson County prosecutor charged Dayqwaun Sykes with 2nd degree murder and armed criminal action for the death of Kassandra Peters.
Peters was working the late night shift at the Travelers Inn at 31st & White when she was shot. Witnesses heard the gunshot and saw two men run away. Two men were then seen at a bus stop on 31st and Indian with handguns.
Witnesses identified Sykes as one of those men.
The victim’s mother says Peters was always a happy person. She said her daughter was concerned about safety as she worked at the hotel, but she hoped the job was temporary. She was interested in becoming a nurse’s aid.
“She had big plans,” the victim’s mother said. “She loved people and people loved her.”
- Questions remain in deadly house fire that killed two young boys
- WATCH: Terrifying pileup shows the danger of exiting your car after an accident
- Watch: Possible abduction caught on tape
- Texas teen Ethan Couch gets 10 years probation for driving drunk, killing 4
- College student, 18, killed in accident involving ice and semi on I-435