Couple in Malnourished Child Case Appears in Court
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A couple accused of keeping a malnourished eight-year-old girl locked in a filthy room appeared in a Jackson County courtroom on Monday.
Jeffery Kraft, 34, and his wife, 28-year-old Michelle Kraft, face charges of assault and child endangerment after authorities – working on a tip – found the eight-year-old girl on July 5th, locked in a trash-filled bedroom which also allegedly reeked of urine.
Authorities say that the girl, identified in court records as “GW”, weighed just 42 pounds. The girl and her five-year-old sister are now in protective custody.
Relatives told FOX 4 at the time that the eight-year-old had behavioral problems, and the couple may have gotten in over their heads.
Michelle Kraft is due back in court on September 6th. Jeffrey Kraft, who is still in custody, is due back on August 30th.
- WATCH: Terrifying pileup shows the danger of exiting your car after an accident
- Father: Some kind of cord was trapping his sons in their room during deadly fire
- Watch: Possible abduction caught on tape
- College student, 18, killed in accident involving ice and semi on I-435
- Claustrophobic woman claws her way out of bathroom