Turkey and Apple Breakfast Sausage
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 apples, peeled and grated
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons rubbed dried sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add apples and sauté until the apples are very tender, 3 to 5 minutes longer. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool completely.
- Add turkey, breadcrumbs, egg whites, sage, salt, pepper, red pepper, crushed red pepper, and thyme; mix well. Divide the sausage mixture into 16 portions and form into 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- Place the patties on the prepared baking sheet and bake until the outside is golden brown and the interior is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Makes 8 servings, 2 patties per serving.
Per serving: 150 calories; 7 g fat ( 1 g sat , 3 g mono ); 45 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein;1 g fiber; 555 mg sodium; 206 mg potassium.