Baby Dies in Accident in Church Parking Lot
NORTH KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A tragic accident at a North Kansas City church ended in the death of an 11-month-old little girl Sunday, and now church members are trying to deal with the grief and pain.
Police say after church let out on Sunday at the First Baptist Church at 22nd and Iron, a man was trying to leave the parking lot. His car was in reverse and he accidentally hit the gas and accelerated into a grandfather who was holding the little girl.
The impact sent her flying into the air. The baby’s grandfather was taken to the hospital with injuries. The baby’s aunt was also behind the car and was struck and transported to the hospital.
Sunday evening, church members gathered for a prayer service to help each other through the tragedy.
“I don’t know why. Only he knows why. Everything’s going to be good because of him,” said Cecil Reid, who witnessed the accident.
Police say the man who accidentally hit the gas pedal was elderly.
“There’s a lot of people affected by it; we’re praying for them all, just asking for comfort,” Pastor Tiger Pennington said.
- Teen killed in accident on I-435 identified
- Police believe body found in Lawrence is that of missing graduate student
- Paraplegic woman defies the odds and challenges; loses 275 pounds
- Feds say maker of Android flashlight app collected info, gave to advertisers
- Belton restaurant apologizes for sign about scalping Redskins