Cooking for Diabetes
Chef Brandon O’Dell with Friend That Cooks stopped by the FOX 4 Morning Show with ‘diabetic friendly’ meal ideas. More than 25 million Americans have diabetes.
Brandon also wanted people to know about the Stop Diabetes Walk on Saturday.
STEP OUT: WALK TO STOP DIABETES
- Saturday, 7:30 a.m.
Broccoli and Mushroom Salad
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 8 oz pkg mushrooms, quartered
- ¼ c shredded carrots
- ¼ small white onion, thin sliced
- ½ red pepper, thin sliced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp truffle oil
- 2 tbs white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs agave syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Boil 2 quarts of water in a 3 quart sauce pan. Cut stems from broccoli and cut broccoli into bite size pieces roughly equal to ¼ of an average sized mushroom. Blanch broccoli for 10 seconds in the boiling water then drain and submerge under cold, running water until the broccoli cools. Tricks to getting a nice, bright green color on broccoli include adding some salt to the boiling water and using ice water to quickly cool the broccoli.
- Combine the liquids and seasonings in a small bowl and whisk to make a dressing. In a larger bowl, combine all the vegetables, then add the dressing and toss well to distribute the dressing. Chill and serve.