Topeka Woman Mad About $1000 Library Fine
TOPEKA, Kan. — A woman in Topeka settled her bill with her local library, but she wants everyone to be aware of what happened to her.
Laurie McCollum had her wallet stolen in July. She cancelled her credit cards and checks, but didn’t think to cancel her library card.
The library says it sent her email notices, telling her about the 40 overdue books on her account, but McCollum says she doesn’t check her email very often. Apparently, the wallet thief wanted some books and checked them out in her name.
“The bill came to over a $1000 and we’re not going to make you pay the whole amount, but we feel you should pay for part of it,” she said.
McCollum agreed to pay the library $275.
- WATCH: Terrifying pileup shows the danger of exiting your car after an accident
- College student, 18, killed in accident involving ice and semi on I-435
- Claustrophobic woman claws her way out of bathroom
- Watch: Possible abduction caught on tape
- Father: Some kind of cord was trapping his sons in their room during deadly fire