Independence Karate School Offering Free Classes
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. — In light of Jessica Ridgeway’s murder, an Independence, Missouri karate business is offering free self-defense classes.
Tom Burt of AKKA in Independence is offering free self defense classes for kids and adults. He says even for kids, self-defense is important. It can teach kids to have the necessary confidence and street-smarts to avoid a predator’s attack.
“It’s not how strong you are; it’s how smart you are,” Burt said. “If we can empower our kids to know what to do when that does happen, then at least it’s less likely that something like this will happen.”
The first class will be october 27th for kids at 12 p.m. Tom expects that session to run for 30 minutes. The next class will be for adults on November 3rd.
It’s all at AKKA Karate on Noland Road in Independence
- WATCH: Terrifying pileup shows the danger of exiting your car after an accident
- College student, 18, killed in accident involving ice and semi on I-435
- Claustrophobic woman claws her way out of bathroom
- Watch: Possible abduction caught on tape
- Father speaks of sons, 3 and 1, killed in Missouri house fire