Hmong New Year Celebrated in the Metro
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – A small community is celebrating the coming new year in Kansas City, KS.
Hmong men and women of all ages wore their traditional colorful outfits inside memorial hall in downtown.
They tossed a tennis ball back and forth. Organizers say it’s a game people use to court each other.
They say the event offers much more than just courting.
“The community here is quite isolated believe it or not, and this is a good opportunity for everyone to meet each other to mingle with each other,” Wayne Yang with KC Hmong Community said.
Yang says there are up to 4,000 Hmong in the area and that number is growing.
- Two charged in regards to baby found in Warrensburg, Mo. cave
- Family falls ill after eating LSD-laced steak from well known store
- Mummified woman found in backseat of her car in garage, likely died six years ago
- No sign of Malaysia Airline wreckage; questions over stolen passports
- Sister: Mother who drove with children into ocean thought there were 'demons'