Yard Work Assistance for Seniors in KC
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – If you’re a senior citizen who needs help with yard work, help is just a phone call away.
Jewish Family Services and Shepherd Center Central is pairing volunteers with seniors around the metro. 80 households have been selected to have volunteers rake their yards during the Extreme Yard Rakeover.
On Saturday, 67-year-old Ron Meyers sat on his steps with delight watching the volunteers made up of two families not only rake his yard, but they had fun doing it. This is the second year nine-year old Ian Hammer and his father Marc have volunteered.
“It feels good to help other people because they can’t do it, so i like helping other people” said Hammer.
The goal according to JoEllen Wurth, the executive director at Shepherd Center Central is to help senior remain in their homes.
“One of the things that folks think about when they’re trying to stay in their own home is ‘how do I keep my house up’,” Wurth said. “How do I clear my yard in the fall when all these leaves are in it. If you can’t afford to have someone come and help you do it and if you don’t have family nearby to help you it can be a very difficult situation”, says Wurth.
Learn more about the Extreme Rakeover here.
- Father: Some kind of cord was trapping his sons in their room during deadly fire
- WATCH: Terrifying pileup shows the danger of exiting your car after an accident
- Watch: Possible abduction caught on tape
- College student, 18, killed in accident involving ice and semi on I-435
- Claustrophobic woman claws her way out of bathroom