Chiefs: Crennel No Longer Def. Coordinator, to Focus on Head Coaching Gig
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Romeo Crennel is no longer defensive coordinator, as the embattled coach will instead focus entirely on being head coach, the Kansas City Chiefs announced on Monday.
The Chiefs also announced that defensive back Stanford Routt has been released. Routt, a free agent who joined the Chiefs in the off-season after being cut by the Oakland Raiders, has struggled this year after taking the place of departed defensive back Brandon Carr.
Javier Arenas will start in the place of Routt. The team also signed DT Shaun Smith, who played for the team in 2010.
The Chiefs (1-7) are off to a historically bad start after being picked by many to contend for the AFC West title. The team has yet to lead in regulation in any game this season, and are coming off a dispiriting 31-13 loss to the San Diego Chargers. The next play the Pittsburgh Steelers on the road on Monday, November 12.
Linebackers coach Gary Gibbs will replace Crennel as defensive coordinator.
- Father: Some kind of cord was trapping his sons in their room during deadly fire
- WATCH: Terrifying pileup shows the danger of exiting your car after an accident
- Watch: Possible abduction caught on tape
- College student, 18, killed in accident involving ice and semi on I-435
- Claustrophobic woman claws her way out of bathroom