Sen. Claire McCaskill Wins Over Rep. Todd Akin
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Tuesday night at about 9:15 p.m., Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill and her campaign team began celebrating her re-election.
McCaskill’s seat was important to the Democrats as they tried to maintain a majority in the U.S. Senate. McCaskill expected the race to be difficult and hard-fought, but supporters became more hopeful when her opponent, Rep. Todd Akin, made controversial comments about rape and pregnancy shortly after the primary.
At about 9:45 p.m., Rep. Todd Akin went to the podium to announce his loss to McCaskill.
“Things don’t always turn out the way you think they’re going to,” he said. “To God alone be the honor and the glory, regardless of how he decides to organize history,” he said.
Related: Akin Asks for Forgiveness in New Ad
- WATCH: Terrifying pileup shows the danger of exiting your car after an accident
- Father: Some kind of cord was trapping his sons in their room during deadly fire
- Watch: Possible abduction caught on tape
- College student, 18, killed in accident involving ice and semi on I-435
- Claustrophobic woman claws her way out of bathroom