Nixon Easily Wins Re-Election as Missouri Governor
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. — Jay Nixon cruised to a relatively easy victory over Republican challenger Dave Spence on Tuesday night for a second term as Missouri’s governor.
Governor Nixon finished with 55 percent of the vote, while Spence finished with 43 percent.
Jobs were the central point of the campaign for both candidates, as Nixon – who rarely emphasized his Democratic party affiliation during his campaign in the largely Republican state – touted his record of job creation and tax and spending cuts.
Spence, a St. Louis-area businessman who sunk millions in his own money into his campaign, claimed that Missouri was falling behind other states in his campaign ads.
- Following autopsy, police release one additional detail about body of baby found in Warrensburg cave
- Missouri cop charged with rape, supplying intoxicants to minor
- Man chases a $20 down a storm drain, gets stuck underground for two days
- Three taken to hospital in bus accident
- Students file lawsuit against Wright Career College