Thanksgiving is right around the corner and Jami Mitchell is here to help you plan a healthy Thanksgiving dinner! Last week she drastically cut the fat in mashed potatoes and plan to do the same with stuffing. Try the recipe below!
Stuffing with Mushrooms and Artichokes
• 1 pound mushrooms, rinsed, ends trimmed, and sliced
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 large sweet onion, chopped
• 1 cup chopped celery
• 2 tablespoons minced garlic
• About 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 1 loaf (1 lb.) stale sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
• 2 jars (6 oz. each) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
• 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
• 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
• 3/4 tsp. crushed dried rosemary
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 large egg
1. In a 12-inch frying pan over high heat, cook mushrooms, olive oil, onions, celery, and garlic, stirring often, until vegetables are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Pour into a large bowl. Add a bit of broth to pan and stir to scrape up browned bits. Add to bowl.
2. Pour 2 cups broth into bowl and add bread, artichoke hearts, parmesan, poultry seasoning, and rosemary; mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Make a well in stuffing. Add egg and beat with a fork to blend; mix egg with stuffing.
3. Preheat oven to 325° to 350°. Spoon stuffing into a shallow 3-qt. (9- by 13-in.) casserole. For moist stuffing, cover with foil; for crusty stuffing, do not cover. Bake until hot (at least 150° in center) or lightly browned, about 50 minutes.