Apartment Fire Likely Caused by Fireplace Embers
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. — A fire Monday morning at an Overland Park apartment complex injured one person who suffered minor smoke inhalation.
The fire broke out in the second story of the building at the Hawthorne Apartments in the 5300 block of West 121st Terrace.
Five units were damaged.
Crews from Overland Park and Leawood Fire Departments responded and used Compressed Air and Foam Systems to quickly bring the fire under control in about an hour.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, but a resident at the scene told FOX 4 that he was cleaning out the fireplace and put old embers on the deck, where he think they caught on fire.
- Woman with Alzheimer's surrounded by death inside her house
- Teen tells Texas police: 'We are burying a body'
- Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370: What we know and don’t know
- Woman charged after 2-year-old falls out of vehicle
- Oil slicks tested, determined to be from ships, not from Malaysia Airlines Flight 370