Apartment Fire Likely Caused by Fireplace Embers
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. — A fire Monday morning at an Overland Park apartment complex injured one person who suffered minor smoke inhalation.
The fire broke out in the second story of the building at the Hawthorne Apartments in the 5300 block of West 121st Terrace.
Five units were damaged.
Crews from Overland Park and Leawood Fire Departments responded and used Compressed Air and Foam Systems to quickly bring the fire under control in about an hour.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, but a resident at the scene told FOX 4 that he was cleaning out the fireplace and put old embers on the deck, where he think they caught on fire.
- Mohammed Whitaker charged with Kansas City highway shootings
- Judge to convicted murderer: "I hope you die in prison"
- Find out your Easter bunny name
- Police credit tips, collaborative investigating as keys to arresting shooting suspect
- Frank Haith resigns from job by sending a text message to his boss