Standoff with Suspect in Lee’s Summit Ends in Arrest

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LEE'S SUMMIT, Mo. -- A standoff that began Sunday afternoon after a gunman shot a person in the 200 block of N.E. Orchard in Lee's Summit, ended at about 8:30 p.m. with the arrest of a suspect.

FOX 4 was there when police cut the lights and brought the suspect out of the house. FOX 4's Gia Vang also reported that authorities removed a one-month-old baby from the home, too.

The standoff began at about 4:00 p.m. after a man was shot by another man.

The suspected shooter refused to surrender and remained in the house at that address, while police tried to get the person to come out. They sent a robot in to the home to make contact with the man and discovered the child was inside with him.

The police department has yet to confirm any of these details including the condition of that child or who he or she belongs to.

Neighbors say they heard one gun shot, then heard some yelling. They came outside and saw two men covered with blood. Police have learned the other gentleman was helping the victim who was taken to the hospital. Until the standoff was cleared, police said they did evacuate some nearby neighbors.

"One person was unconscious and drug across the street.  And the other guy was covered in blood but he was up and walking around," said Sean Deister, a neighbor.

FOX 4 has a crew at the scene, which is southeast of the intersection of Douglas and Chipman Roads. Refresh this page for the latest.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s