IED Kills Two Fort Riley Soldiers in Afghanistan
FORT RILEY, Kan. – Two 1st Infantry Division Soldiers died Nov. 16 in Paktika Province, Afghanistan.
Sgt. Channing Hicks, 24, and Spc. Joseph Richardson, 23, were killed when enemy forces attacked their unit with an improvised explosive device and small arms fire.
Both Soldiers were infantrymen assigned to 1st Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Riley, Kan.
Hicks was originally from Greer, S.C. and joined the Army in June 2006. He previously served two deployments to Iraq with the 1st Infantry Division.
Richardson was originally from Booneville, Ark. and arrived to the unit in October 2008. He had previously served one tour to Iraq with the Big Red One.
This was the first deployment to Afghanistan for both Soldiers.
- New leads explored in hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines flight
- Family falls ill after eating LSD-laced steak from well known store
- Teen tells Texas police: 'We are burying a body'
- Police are investigating after 1-year-old falls out of vehicle
- Two charged in regards to baby found in Warrensburg, Mo. cave