Olathe Teacher Surprised to Win Prestigious Award, $25,000
It’s called the ‘Oscars of Teaching’ and a metro teacher is one of its newest recipients.
Michael Berndt, a third-grade teacher at Prairie Center Elementary School in Olathe, was surprised to learn he was one of 40 teachers chosen for this year’s Milken Educator Award. The prestigious award is given to those who are considered model teachers.
“I remember when I was a student teacher I wanted to teach kindergarten,” Berndt said. “Once I started with bigger kids, I fell in love with that. I think any grade level I would enjoy; there’s so many wonderful things about each grade.”
In addition to the award, Berndt was given $25,000.
- Following autopsy, police release one additional detail about body of baby found in Warrensburg cave
- Mummified woman found in backseat of her car in garage, likely died six years ago
- Man chases a $20 down a storm drain, gets stuck underground for two days
- Missouri cop charged with rape, supplying intoxicants to minor
- Three taken to hospital in bus accident