GRADY COUNTY, Okla. — An Oklahoma family survived a house fire last weekend, thanks to the most unlikely of heroes.
According to KFOR-TV in Oklahoma City, Katie Crosley and her son, Jace, were sleeping in their Grady County, Oklahoma, cabin early Sunday morning when a fire broke out. They were woken up when their Dachshund, “True,” began wailing.
The Crosley’s are calling it a miracle, because True is blind, deaf and only has three legs.
“I thought he had to go outside,” said Katie Crosley. “When I opened the door, it was a wall of flames.”
The fire, sparked by an electrical short, had ignited the front porch of the house. The family managed to navigate through the smoke and escape out the back door.
Katie Crosley says that she lost everything in the fire – but she was grateful for the disabled dog that nobody else wanted.
“We’re thankful for him. This could have been a bad deal,” she said.