Two Dead, Scores Hurt in 100-Car Pileup on Texas Interstate
BEAUMONT, Texas — Authorities say that at least two people are dead and scores more injured in a massive pileup on a fog-bound stretch of Interstate 10 in southeast Texas on Thursday morning.
According to KFDM-TV in Beaumont, over 120 people were injured and an estimated 100 cars were involved in the chain-reaction wreck along I-10 around 8:00 a.m. on Thursday morning about 20 miles southwest of Beaumont.
CNN reports that the two people killed in the wreck have been identified as Vincent Leggio, 64, and Debra Leggio, 60, both of Pearland, Texas.
The two were killed when their vehicle was hit from behind by an 18-wheeler, the Department of Public Safety said.
Authorities say that the interstate was shrouded in dense fog at the time of the wreck, which left westbound I-10 closed for a few hours. Eastbound I-10 remained closed until early Thursday evening.
- Two charged in regards to baby found in Warrensburg, Mo. cave
- Family falls ill after eating LSD-laced steak from well known store
- New leads explored in hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines flight
- Mummified woman found in backseat of her car in garage, likely died six years ago
- Sister: Mother who drove with children into ocean thought there were 'demons'