Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
What to do with leftover mashed potatoes? Prepare a healthy and hearty Turkey Shepherd’s Pie! Source: adapted from Idaho Potato Board.
Turkey Shepherd’s Pie - serves 4 people
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped cooked turkey meat
- 1 1/3 cups gravy (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 cups leftover cooked vegetables (or mixture of frozen corn, peas, carrots, green beans, etc., thawed)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the oil, celery, onion, ground black pepper and poultry seasoning. Cook and stir until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
3. Place potatoes and sour cream in a mixing bowl. Stir well to combine; set aside.
4. Add the turkey and gravy to the onion mixture in the skillet and stir. When the mixture is heated through, transfer it to a deep-dish pie pan (or a 9-by-9-inch baking dish).
5. Top the turkey mixture with the cooked vegetables. Drop the mashed potatoes by large spoonfuls onto the pie. Use a rubber spatula to flatten the potatoes to cover the turkey and vegetables, smoothing to the edge of the pie pan or dish. Brush the top of the potatoes with melted butter.
6. Place the pie pan onto the foil-covered baking sheet and bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until heated through. Cover the pie with foil and let it rest for 5 to 8 minutes before serving.
Estimated Nutritional Analysis per Serving:
424 calories, 86 mg cholesterol, 1,031 mg sodium, 31 g protein, 18 g fat, and 35 g carbs.
- Following autopsy, police release one additional detail about body of baby found in Warrensburg cave
- Mummified woman found in backseat of her car in garage, likely died six years ago
- Man chases a $20 down a storm drain, gets stuck underground for two days
- Missouri cop charged with rape, supplying intoxicants to minor
- Three taken to hospital in bus accident