How to Get the Best Cyber Monday Deals
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — This year’s Cyber Monday could be the single biggest online shopping day — ever.
“It’s growing at an astronomical rate, which means Cyber Monday this year could be the single biggest online shopping day in history — also the most lucrative,” said Regina Lewis, consumer expert. “So watch for that and watch for e-tailers to pull out all the stops.”
How to Get Better Cyber Monday Deals
- Shoppers can find great buys by using social media. By “following” or “liking” your favorite stores on Twitter and Facebook you’ll get special deals that retailers offer their most loyal customers.
- To get the best prices, search for your items in search engines like Nextag, Google Shopping or PriceGrabber and compare.
- Don’t forget to search for coupon codes. To do this, simply Google [item name + coupon code or promo code]
- Cross check your items with FreeShipping.org to see if you can save even more on shipping costs.
Cyber Monday’s original appeal, as the first weekday after Thanksgiving, was access to quick Internet speeds while at work. But now broadband at home is ubiquitous, and consumers can also shop on a slew of mobile devices.
Andrew Lipsman, an industry analyst at data tracking firm ComScore, said he expects sales for the one-day Cyber Monday shopping event to be around $1.5 billion this year. That’s up from his calculations of $1.3 billion in 2011.
It will be a few weeks before full details on Thanksgiving week’s sales are made clear, but last year both Black Friday and Cyber Monday broke records. Total spending over the four-day weekend after Thanksgiving 2011 reached a record $52.4 billion, according to the National Retail Federation.
Tips and Tricks When Shopping on Cyber Monday
- Confirm a website is secure before entering any information. Look for an “s” after the “http” in the URL
- Paying with a credit card will offer more protections than with a debit card
- Check statements regularly to make sure the only charges are ones you’ve made
- Don’t use public wifi. Use only secure connections.
- Lock devices with a password so data is protected even when your phone is out of your hands
- Work within apps from trusted sources
- Mummified woman found in backseat of her car in garage, likely died six years ago
- Two charged in regards to baby found in Warrensburg, Mo. cave
- Following autopsy, police release one additional detail about body of baby found in Warrensburg cave
- Man chases a $20 down a storm drain, gets stuck underground for two days
- Where is Malaysia Airlines Flight 370? Traces of oil seen in area of last contact