Shawnee Mission East Student Killed in ATV Accident
MIAMI COUNTY, Kan. — Authorities say that a metro teen died in an ATV accident in rural southern Miami County early Sunday morning.
According to the Miami County Sheriff’s Department, emergency crews were called to the area of Victory Road just south of West. 395th Street shortly after 3 a.m. on Sunday. Authorities say that a Polaris ATV occupied by four juvenile subjects had rolled in a field, killing 17-year-old Tyler Rathbun from Westwood, Kansas.
Classmates, friends and family gathered Sunday night for a candlelight vigil to remember him. Rathbun’s friends said he played soccer and was well-liked.
The driver of the ATV, who has not been identified, was flown to a Kansas City-area hospital with non-life threatening injuries. He is expected to make a full recovery.
The accident remains under investigation.
Counselors will be available at Shawnee Mission East High School on Monday for student who return from Thanksgiving break.
- Miley's illness, allergic reaction disappoints St. Louis fans too
- WATCH: Hilarious flight attendant offers free inflight entertainment
- 79-yr-old dancer makes Simon Cowell stop yawning and start cheering
- Reps. from KKK, Aryan Nation denounce Jewish center shootings
- Frazier Cross, accused of killing 3 at Jewish centers, enters courtroom in wheelchair