Autopsy: Man Choked on Roach and Worm Parts

Posted on: 5:11 pm, November 27, 2012, by

Bug-Eating-Contest.jp

(CNN) — A 32-year-old man who died after downing dozens of roaches and worms last month to win a python at a Florida reptile store choked to death, medical officials said Monday.

Edward Archbold died “as a result of asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents,” said the Broward County Medical Examiner’s Office. It said his airway was obstructed by bug body parts, and ruled his death was an accident.

Archbold was among 20 to 30 contestants participating in the “Midnight Madness” event at Ben Siegel Reptiles in Deerfield Beach.

Watch: Man Dies After Insect-Eating Contest

The participant who consumed the most insects and worms would take home an $850 python.

Archbold swallowed roach after roach, worm after worm. While the store didn’t say exactly how many Archbold consumed, the owner told CNN affiliate WPLG that he was “the life of the party.”

Soon after the contest was over, Archbold fell ill and began to vomit, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office said.

A friend called for medical help. Then, Archbold himself dialed 911, the store said in a Facebook post.

Eventually, he fell to the ground outside the store, the sheriff’s office said. An ambulance took him to North Broward Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

No other contestant fell ill, the sheriff’s office said.

CNN’s Greg Botelho contributed to this report.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s