Lockdown in Leavenworth
LEAVENWORTH, Kan. – On Sunday at approximately 5:15 p.m., the United States Penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kansas, was placed on lockdown as a precautionary measure after a fight occurred in one of the housing units and another fight on the recreation yard earlier in the day. Leavenworth authorities say both incidents were isolated, quickly contained and involved a small of inmates.
According to authorities, the institution staff did an outstanding job responding to the incidents and at no time was security breached or the public safety compromised. No staff were injured and there were minor injuries sustained by two inmates, who were treated by institution medical staff.
Leavenworth officials say the institution is secure with all inmates locked in their cells. The investigation continues to determine the cause of the incidents. All programs, to include visiting have been suspended while the facility remains in lockdown status.
- Mohammed Whitaker charged with Kansas City highway shootings
- Judge to convicted murderer: "I hope you die in prison"
- Find out your Easter bunny name
- Police credit tips, collaborative investigating as keys to arresting shooting suspect
- Frank Haith resigns from job by sending a text message to his boss