Lockdown in Leavenworth
LEAVENWORTH, Kan. – On Sunday at approximately 5:15 p.m., the United States Penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kansas, was placed on lockdown as a precautionary measure after a fight occurred in one of the housing units and another fight on the recreation yard earlier in the day. Leavenworth authorities say both incidents were isolated, quickly contained and involved a small of inmates.
According to authorities, the institution staff did an outstanding job responding to the incidents and at no time was security breached or the public safety compromised. No staff were injured and there were minor injuries sustained by two inmates, who were treated by institution medical staff.
Leavenworth officials say the institution is secure with all inmates locked in their cells. The investigation continues to determine the cause of the incidents. All programs, to include visiting have been suspended while the facility remains in lockdown status.
- Mark Alford raises his hand to show he was among the millions hacked
- Photo released of officer's condition after shooting assault suspect
- Man comforted by police actions in the aftermath of wife's murder
- Warrensburg police arrest men suspected of kidnapping mom and young son from Walmart
- Pick pocket thief posed as a disabled man in a grocery store