Taco Chili Mix & Taco Bean Chili
Taco Chili Mix
- 1/2 cup dried kidney beans
- 1/2 cup dried pinto beans
- 1/2 cup dried red beans
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or chipotle chili pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups tortilla chips, slightly crushed
Layer ingredients in 1-quart wide-mouth jar in following order: kidney beans, pinto beans and red beans. Place taco seasoning mix, onion, chili powder and cumin in small plastic zip-type bag. Seal bag and place bag in jar. Add tortilla chips. Seal jar.
Decorate jar and attach the following instructions on a gift tag:
Taco Bean Chili
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 1 jar Taco Bean Chili Mix
- 4 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles (Ro*Tel), undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey, browned and drained
- Shredded cheese, chopped lettuce, sliced black olives (optional)
Remove tortilla chips and seasoning packet from jar mix. Set aside.
Place beans in large bowl. Cover with water. Soak 6 to 8 hours or overnight. To quick-soak beans, place beans in large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let soak, covered, 1 hour. Drain beans, discard water.
Place soaked beans, water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, ground beef and contents of seasoning packet in Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender. Crush tortilla chips. Stir into chili and cook 5 to 10 minutes to thicken. Serve with cheese, lettuce and olives, if desired.
Use leftover chili to make a taco salad.
- Questions remain in deadly house fire that killed two young boys
- WATCH: Terrifying pileup shows the danger of exiting your car after an accident
- Watch: Possible abduction caught on tape
- College student, 18, killed in accident involving ice and semi on I-435
- Claustrophobic woman claws her way out of bathroom