Carrie Underwood as Maria von Trapp
Raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens and Carrie Underwood as Maria?
On Friday, NBC announced its plans to air a live broadcast of “The Sound of Music,” starring Underwood as Maria, based on the original musical.
The three-hour telecast is expected to air sometime during the 2013 holiday season.
“Speaking for everyone at NBC, we couldn’t be happier to have the gifted Carrie Underwood take up the mantle of the great Maria von Trapp,” NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt said in a press release. “She was an iconic woman who will now be played by an iconic artist.”
Grammy Award-winning Underwood follows in the footsteps of actress Julie Andrews, who played the role of Maria in the iconic 1965 film.
“To have a star like Carrie Underwood perform Maria in ‘The Sound of Music’ – and in such a very special and unique production – is exciting beyond words,” Rodgers & Hammerstein President Ted Chapin said in a press release.
- Indian surgeons find 12 gold bars in man's stomach
- Prosecutors: Man was drunk, speeding Monday afternoon when he caused deadly crash that killed husband, father
- Suspect with 'murder' tattooed on neck worried it could hurt his trial
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter
- Crime scenes in Lawrence may all be linked together by a hatchet