Kansas Couple, Married 62 Years, Dies Within Hours of Each Other
BUHLER, Kan. — The family of Melvin and Doris Cornelson say that they were the loves of each others life. They had never even dated anyone else before they were married 62 years ago, and were an inseparable couple, even up to the last day of their lives.
Last week, the couple who spent their lives together died within hours of each other at a Kansas retirement community.
According to KWCH-TV in Wichita, Melvin Cornelson, 85, died on November 29th at the Sunshine Meadows Retirement Community in Buhler, Kansas, following a battle with cancer. His wife, Doris, was by his side – and her family says that within hours she began to fade.
“She sat with us all morning and planned some things. She went to bed at noon and never got up,” said daughter Candi Sawatzky. She says that the family has a theory about what happened.
“I think he said enough was enough and that gives her permission to go,” said Candi’s husband, Randy Sawatzky.
Candi says that her father was the first and only man her mother ever kissed.
“They’re together. They’re happy,” she said.
- Following autopsy, police release one additional detail about body of baby found in Warrensburg cave
- Mummified woman found in backseat of her car in garage, likely died six years ago
- Man chases a $20 down a storm drain, gets stuck underground for two days
- Missouri cop charged with rape, supplying intoxicants to minor
- Three taken to hospital in bus accident