Fund Set Up to Help Family Who Lost Home in Fire
DESOTO, Kan. — A fire destroyed the home of a DeSoto, Kansas, family last week – and now friends are working to help the family get back on their feet.
According to authorities, fire was reported at a home in the 8800 block of Waverly Road around 2:25 a.m. Cheri Schuler and her oldest son were sleeping inside the home at the time. They escaped the fire after being alerted by another son who came home and saw flames.
Related: Fire Destroys DeSoto Family’s Home
Firefighters say that the homeowner, a veterinarian, managed to save four dogs, but one of Schuler’s beloved bulldogs didn’t make it. Several other animals were killed in the fire including a parrot and a snake. A cat is still unaccounted for.
Cheri Schuler’s husband, Jason Schuler, was working in New Jersey when the fire destroyed the home.
Friends of the family say that the Schuler’s are now trying to rent a home, and they have set up a fund to help them recover. If you wish to donate, please make checks payable to the Schuler Rebuilding Fund, Great American Bank, 33050 W. 83rd Street, DeSoto, Kansas 66018.
- Mohammed Whitaker charged with Kansas City highway shootings
- Judge to convicted murderer: "I hope you die in prison"
- Find out your Easter bunny name
- Police credit tips, collaborative investigating as keys to arresting shooting suspect
- Frank Haith resigns from job by sending a text message to his boss