Fund Set Up to Help Family Who Lost Home in Fire
DESOTO, Kan. — A fire destroyed the home of a DeSoto, Kansas, family last week – and now friends are working to help the family get back on their feet.
According to authorities, fire was reported at a home in the 8800 block of Waverly Road around 2:25 a.m. Cheri Schuler and her oldest son were sleeping inside the home at the time. They escaped the fire after being alerted by another son who came home and saw flames.
Related: Fire Destroys DeSoto Family’s Home
Firefighters say that the homeowner, a veterinarian, managed to save four dogs, but one of Schuler’s beloved bulldogs didn’t make it. Several other animals were killed in the fire including a parrot and a snake. A cat is still unaccounted for.
Cheri Schuler’s husband, Jason Schuler, was working in New Jersey when the fire destroyed the home.
Friends of the family say that the Schuler’s are now trying to rent a home, and they have set up a fund to help them recover. If you wish to donate, please make checks payable to the Schuler Rebuilding Fund, Great American Bank, 33050 W. 83rd Street, DeSoto, Kansas 66018.
- Indian surgeons find 12 gold bars in man's stomach
- Prosecutors: Man was drunk, speeding Monday afternoon when he caused deadly crash that killed husband, father
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter
- Suspect with 'murder' tattooed on neck worried it could hurt his trial
- Crime scenes in Lawrence may all be linked together by a hatchet