Cooking with Karli: Basque Triple Seafood Canapés
- 1 cup shredded lump crab meat or surimi (mock crab legs)
- 3 tablespoons minced red onions
- 3-½ tablespoons mayonnaise (preferably Hellmann’s)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ketchup
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea)
- 16 thin slices smoked salmon (about 6 ounces total)
- 16 best-quality, oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained
- Minced fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish 16 diagonal slices crusty baguette,(¼-inch thick)
NOTE: Look for a thick baguette – one that is about 2 inches in diameter. Slice it very thin, on a diagonal; each slice should be about 5 inches long. If you wish, lightly toast the bread.
Place the surimi, onion, mayonnaise, lemon juice, ketchup and Tabasco sauce in a small bowl and stir to blend. Taste for seasoning, adding more Tabasco sauce as necessary, and salt to taste.
Spread the surimi mixture on the baguette slices. Arrange a slice of salmon on each, trimming it to fit, then top with an anchovy fillet. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Yield: makes 16 substantial canapés
- Indian surgeons find 12 gold bars in man's stomach
- Prosecutors: Man was drunk, speeding Monday afternoon when he caused deadly crash that killed husband, father
- British woman says she wants abortion for better chance at starring on "Big Brother"
- Suspect with 'murder' tattooed on neck worried it could hurt his trial
- Crime scenes in Lawrence may all be linked together by a hatchet