Firefighter Falls Through Balcony Fighting Motel Fire
LIBERTY, Mo. — One firefighter was injured and dozens of people were evacuated from a Liberty motel fire early Wednesday morning. Firefighters said the fire started around 3 a.m. at the Days Inn in Liberty.
One woman, Amanda Bruce, said she and her family were asleep when the fire started in the room next to theirs. Bruce said her husband woke up to someone screaming. Together, they scrambled to get their two children, ages seven and three, and their belongings out of the room.
Firefighters rescued two people from a second floor room. A police officer rescued another person also trapped on the second floor. A firefighter fell through the second-floor balcony and suffered unknown injuries. He was taken to the hospital and is expected to be okay.
Forty to 50 people were evacuated from the motel and are being assisted by the Red Cross. The cause is still under investigation.
- Prosecutors: Man was drunk, speeding Monday afternoon when he caused deadly crash that killed husband, father
- Indian surgeons find 12 gold bars in man's stomach
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter
- Suspect with 'murder' tattooed on neck worried it could hurt his trial
- Crime scenes in Lawrence may all be linked together by a hatchet