Grandma Doris’s Butterfly Rolls
2 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup milk/1 egg (mixed)
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1) Sift together dry ingredients and cut in shortening
2) Add milk and egg mixture
3) Pat out dough, fold in half, pat and fold seven times
4) Spread dough with rolling pin into a rectangle; spread soft butter on dough
5) Sprinkle on sugar and cinnamon mixture
6) Roll up like jelly roll. Use a sharp knife to cut off rolls cutting every other one all the way through
7) Spread rolls on a greased baking sheet for butterfly effect
8) Bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes
Butter Frosting Ingredients:
1/3 cup butter
4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1) In a mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy.
2) Gradually add 2 cups of powdered sugar, beating well.
3) Slowly beat in the milk and vanilla.
4) Slowly beat in remaining powdered sugar. Beat in additional milk if needed.
5) Drizzle on cooked rolls